By Kerrie Luginbill
I love listening to Podcasts. I listen to them while I’m getting ready for work, cleaning the house, driving, cooking – the list goes on and on. As an Enneagram 3, it’s hard for me to really unplug and stop working, but listening to Podcasts is like my meditation. I can relax, unplug and just tune in. And while I have many friends and colleagues who listen to Podcasts for your traditional type of entertainment, I find that my favorite Podcasts tend to connect with me in one of the three following areas:
As a Leader – I am someone who manages direct reports and is relied on to guide others in an organizational setting, this is something I am relatively new at (at least relatively new at trying to be good at)
As an Entrepreneur – as an agency owner I tend to gravitate toward Podcasts that specifically focus on creative entrepreneurs, however not exclusively
As a Creative – as someone who runs a marketing agency but is no longer exclusively “doing” the marketing, I find that Podcasts tuned into creativity and creative output keep me inspired about the work that my agency does
My Top 5 favorite Podcasts for Leaders, Entrepreneurs & Creatives:
- The Knowledge Project – Selected as “Best of” Apple Podcasts in 2019, the Knowledge Project uncovers insights that lead to results. “A regular dose of insightful perspectives on life and success from a huge range of backgrounds and experiences.”— WIRED, ranking The Knowledge Project #1 for best podcast for curious minds. Some of my favorite episodes include guests like Jim Collins, Megan Hyatt Miller, Ken Coleman, Jay Baer and Ian Cron
- Building a StoryBrand Podcast – It’s easy to see why this is a favorite for me. As a StoryBrand Certified Guide, I’ve absorbed pretty much every piece of content Donald Miller has put into the universe about crafting messages. Past guests include Seth Godin, Patrick Lencioni, Daymond John, Rachel Hollis, Ken Blanchard, Mel Robbins, Dave Ramsey, Scott Hamilton, Auntie Anne, Charles Duhigg, Daniel Pink, Blake Mycoskie (TOMS), Chris Anderson (TED), and so many others. In his Podcast, Donald Miller and his team share practical advice about clarifying your message so customers will listen.
- 2Bobs – Put simply, conversations on the art of creative entrepreneurship with David C. Baker and Blair Enns. Easily one of my fast favorites (I just found out about this Podcast and have already binged almost every episode). 2Bobs talks about everything from creative pricing strategies to how to get your account people to play well with your production people in a creative agency. Highly recommended to anyone running a creative agency that brings in more than 1million in revenue annually.
- RISE podcast – I am a total fangirl for Rachel Hollis. Rachel describes her content as “tangible and tactical tools for your life and business.” RISE is a series of bold conversations with fellow business powerhouses and personal development leaders that provides the listener with real-life valuable takeaways. Some of my favorite episodes include how to build the best team at your company, how to unlock your potential and stay motivated despite “doing all the things” (if you know, you know) and how to overall be a more organized and thoughtful human.
- HBR Ideacast – A weekly podcast featuring the leaders in business and management. They have more than 700 episodes of content featuring leaders like the author of “Radical Candor,” Kim Scott, which happens to be my favorite leadership book ever written. EVER. I actually can’t even pinpoint episodes that have been my favorite because there are so many great topics.
One of the guiding principles at OTM is to work to be “1% Better Every Day” – listening to and reading things to further knowledge is just one way that my partners and my team and I do this.