Marketers and businesses alike know the feeling that comes along with the release of new social media platforms, features, and technologies – frustration, yet excitement. There are so many possibilities and such limited time to figure out what will work for your business (or client). Our Storytelling Specialist, Sam, breaks down what Instagram Reels are and how and why you should use them for your business.
What are Instagram Reels?
Instagram Reels are 15-second videos that you can make inside the Instagram app that allow you to:
- Combine multiple video clips
- Start and stop recording at your own pace
- Add original music from the IG library (this option may not be available for business accounts)
- Add filters through the AR effect gallery
- Adjust the speed of each clip
- Add text
In short, Instagram Reels are strikingly similar to TikTok.
Why should businesses use Instagram Reels?
First and foremost, it has been proven that Instagram Reels increase the visibility of your posts, additionally:
- They give Instagram users a more interactive way to interact with your page
- They let you reuse video sources
- Instagram Reels also make it easy to repurpose longer video clips or turn user-generated content (UGC) into super engaging mini-videos
Where do Instagram Reels appear on your Instagram profile?
Instagram Reels appear in your Reels tab (which is new along with the rollout of Instagram Reels in general) on the main profile grid, in feeds, and under the explore tab.
How to create an Instagram Reel:
- Click on the camera icon in the top left corner of your Instagram app
- Select “Reels” at the bottom of the screen
- Set the timer to choose the clip length, or just start recording/choose an existing video from your phone
- This is where you would choose your audio if your account is able to use music
- Tap the record button to take a new video
- Repeat for however many clips you want to use in your Reel
- Tap the arrow to go to the next screen
- Add stickers, text, or drawings
- Choose your cover image, write a caption, add relevant hashtags and tag people
- You can choose if you want this to show up in people’s feeds or not (there is a toggle button below the caption for this)
- You can also choose if you want this to be posted to the Reels section of your page or your Story
- Click Share and you’re all set!
Use your top posts on your page to create engaging Instagram Reels and to get started incorporating Reels into your content strategy. Over the last 13 years, OTM has partnered with hundreds of organizations locally and nationally to provide bespoke marketing that breaks through the noise, inspires action and grows businesses.
If you don’t have a content strategy, contact OTM today to learn how we can help!